A workshop, hosted by the Synchrotron Radiation Center of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, looking into emerging new directions of synchrotron research with soft X-rays, VUV, and Infrared.
Program: The program is now available for Session I and Session II (PDF file) (Last updated on Sept 15)
Area Map: A map of the area surrounding the Pyle Center is now available in PDF format.
Workshop Topical Sessions
The workshop program will begin on Thursday morning, September 16, 2004 and will end on Saturday, September 18, 2004 at noon. Two parallel sessions including five topical discussion groups are planned:
- Femtosecond chemistry
- end-stations with fast lasers
- Coherent imaging
- EUV interference lithography
- Aberration correction
- Combined pump-probe
Forefront Research with IR
- Coherent THz pulses
- High magnetic field THz spectroscopy
- Two color experiments
- Fast 2D detection coherent micro-imaging
- Bulk sensitive photoemission
- Correlated electron systems
Invited speakers will provide overviews of the topical areas and their vision for future directions (25 min. + 10 min. discussion). Contributed talks (15 + 5 minutes) are welcome. The discussion following these presentations will have the goal of highlighting key initiatives that will enable future research, with a specific view towards facility developments at the Synchrotron Radiation Center. The workshop will conclude with short written reports and summary talks at a plenary session on Saturday morning.
The workshop will be held on the UW-Campus at the Pyle Center. Click on the link to see a closeup of the Pyle center or an interactive map of the UW campus.
List of Speakers and Their Topics
- Larry Carr, NSLS/BNL “THz Science and Techniques Using Synchrotron Radiation at the NSLS ”
- Gelsomina De Stasio, UW-Madison “Cells, Tissues and Minerals: A Fresh Look with X-PEEM”
- Hermann Durr, BESSY “Magnetic Imaging by Coherent Scattering: Dichroic X-ray Holography ”
- Paul Dumas,
LURE/SOLEIL Synchrotron "Is Synchrotron Infrared Spectroscopy Still the State-of-the-Art for Microscopists ?"
- Stefan Eisebitt, BESSY “X-ray Spectro-Holography”
- Paul Evans, UW-Madison “Coherent Soft X-ray Scattering”
- Prasenjit Guptasarma, Univ. Wisconsin-Milwaukee "Studies of Single Crystals of Complex Oxides with Highly Correlated Electrons"
- K. Horiba, RIKEN/SPring8 "Bulk Electronic Structure of La1-xSrxMnO3 Thin Films Studied by Hard X-ray Mn 2p Core-Level Photoemission Spectroscopy"
- Chris Jacobsen, SUNY and BNL “Cluster analysis in soft X-ray spectromicroscopy: finding the patterns in complex specimens”
- Peter Johnson, BNL "High REsolution Photoemission as a Probe of the Low Energy Excitations in Strongly Correlated Systems"
- Henry Kapteyn, JILA/U. of Colorado “Short Pulse Light Sources”
- Steve Kevan, U. of Oregon “ Coherent Soft X-ray Magnetic Scattering”
- Carolyn Larabell, ALS and UCSF “Pristine Cells in 3D: X-ray Tomo-Microscopy”
- Michael Martin, ALS/LBNL "Synchrotron Infrared Science: Physics, Biology, Environmental Science and Coherence"
- John Miao, Stanford/UCLA “Coherent X-ray Diffraction Microscopy and its Applications ”
- Satish Myneni, Princeton “Molecules and the Environment: XAS and STXM”
- Paul Nealey, UW-Madison “Interferometric Lithography”
- Marshall Onellion, UW-Madison “Combining Synchrotron and Carrier/Spin Dynamics Studies"
- Enrique Ortega , Univ. of the Basque Country "Angle-Resolved Photoemission From Lateral Nanostructures"
- Luca Perfetti, FU Berlin “Dynamics of Low Energy Excitations in Semimetals and Carbon Nanotubes ”
- Ian Robinson, Urbana “Coherent Hard X-ray Scattering and Imaging”
- Harald Rose, Darmstadt “Outline of the Mirror Corrector for Smart and PEEM3 ”
- Eli Rotenberg, ALS/LBL ”Surfing K-Space at the Electronic Structure Factory”
- Qun Shen, CHESS/Cornell "University Dose Requirements in Coherent Imaging with Soft and Hard X-rays"
- Andreas Scholl, ALS “P-SEC Magnetization Dynamics of Vortices Probed at High Spatial Resolution ”
- D.J. Stacchiola ,
- A.V. Sumant, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison, "Nano-Wear Diagnostics of Polysilicon Based MEMS Devices Using PEEM-NEXAFS Spectromicroscopy"
- Uwe Weierstall ,
- Takayoshi Yokoya, JASRI “High Resolution PES Studies on Low-Temperature Superconductors: From MEV to Sub-MEV Resolution”
- Martin Zanni, UW-Madison “Multidimensional Fast Infrared Spectroscopies"
Registration is now closed for this workshop (8-23-04)
There is no cost for registration but the workshop is limited to 50 participants. A registration form is available for download (PDF format or MS Word format). An online registration form is also available.
Registration and more detailed information is available by contacting Pam Layton, email name playton or 608-877-2000.
If you are interested in presenting a contributed talk, please send a short abstract that will be forwarded to topical session moderators for possible inclusion in the program.
Best Western InnTowner (farthest from Pyle Center)
2424 University Avenue
20 rooms blocked - $62 if they show a UW ID; $84.94 if they have no UW ID
Call by September 1 for block
525 W. Johnson Street
20 rooms booked - $62 with UW ID; $82 if no UW ID
The Howard Johnson is only a few blocks away from the Pyle Center (see the map)
Call by August 15 for block
Lowell Center (closest to Pyle Center)
610 Langdon Street
20 rooms blocked - $62 with UW ID; $77 with no UW ID
Call by August 15 for block
- Juan Carlos Campuzano
- G. "pupa" De Stasio
- Franz Himpsel
- Carol Hirschmugl
- Joseph Bisognano
- Adam Kaminski
This page was last updated on
April 10, 2008