Guide to SRC
Table of Contents
- How do I prepare to come to SRC?
- What do I do when I arrive?
- What is life like at SRC?
- Who do I contact?
- What do I do when I am finished with my experiment?
1. Housing: SRC maintains the "Bob Green Guest House" where researchers may stay while visiting SRC. To learn more about the Bob Green Guest House and to make reservations, click here. Other lodging is available in surrounding towns including Stoughton, McFarland, Oregon, and Madison.
2. Food: SRC and the Guest House are in a rural setting and not within walking distance to any food establishments or groceries. The nearest towns are about a 5-minute drive and each has grocery stores. The Guest House and the SRC break area both have areas to store and prepare food while you are here. Some restaurants (pizza and subs) will deliver to SRC.
3. Cell Phones: Cell phone access is generally good outside of the Aladdin vault.
4. Weather: In the winter months—November through March—Wisconsin weather can be very unpredictable. Temperatures are routinely below freezing and can be very snowy. Roads can be slippery and covered with snow and ice, particularly the rural roads leading to SRC. Drive carefully. Summer weather can be very hot and humid, or cool enough to require a jacket or sweater. The average summer temperature ranges from 75-90°F days and 55-60°F nights.
5. Supplies for Purchase On-Site: If needed, a project number can be obtained to facilitate the purchase of storeroom materials from the "PSL Stockroom." Please contact Ruth Drage via email email@example.com or phone 608-877-2241.
6. Transportation: Because of our rural setting, a car is recommended. If you have a driver's license from a country outside of the United States, please verify before arriving that your license is valid to drive in Wisconsin by checking the Department of Transportation website. Rental companies accept driver’s licenses that may not be recognized by local law enforcement personnel. For Users from the UW-Campus, a shuttle is available. Please contact the SRC Admin Office to schedule a shuttle 608-877-2000.
7. Radiation Safety Course: All personnel who will be coming to the SRC to participate in any experiments or to work in the Aladdin vault must complete the online Radiation Safety Course and submit the exam prior to their entering the Aladdin vault. This course can be found at: http://www.src.wisc.edu/safety/radiation_safety_course.htm plus online safety training.
8. Technical Questions: You should be in contact with a beamline manager or SRC staff about setting up your experiment. For help with issues that are still unsolved, please see our contact list below.
Attention Scienta Users: Please use the following links to access a form to check-out sample holders (R4000 only), information about dimensional data, and instruction manuals and reference documents.
9. Facility Location: Available are links to maps of the SRC, the Guest House, and the surrounding areas.
10. Arrival Date: Contact the SRC Admin Office with information on when you plan to arrive in case there are timing issues with issuing keys or project numbers. 1-608-877-2000.
11. Shipping: If you need to ship equipment or samples to SRC, please contact John Arnolde at 1-608-877-2225 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Start-up Funds: As a new User, you may be eligible for up to $500 in SRC start-up funds that can be spent on things such as housing and travel. Please contact the SRC director, Joe Bisognano, at 1-608-877-2163, email@example.com.
1. Check in with the SRC Main Office to arrange for keys, desk space if needed, etc. Office hours are Mon-Fri, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM. Phone number is 1-608-877-2000.
2. Check in with an operator to fill out necessary forms and receive an ID badge.
3. Check in with your beamline manager, who will explain the beamline.
4. Fill out the Beamline Users Form (located at the beamline).
5. If you haven't done so already, please conact our safety coordinator to schedule a safety orientation. Contact Ken Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-608-877-2142.
1. As of 7/22/2013 beam injections are at 7:45 am, 3 pm, and 10 pm, which takes about 15-20 minutes.
2. During injection, for safety reasons, all personnel are required to exit the experimental hall (called the "vault").
3. We have a break area, where you can have your meals. Since there are no nearby restaurants, we provide two refrigerators, where you can store your food items, and several microwave ovens. We also have a large coffee maker for our Users' (25 cents per cup). There is also a soda machine and a machine with snacks. The Guest House has a shared kitchen for extensive food preparation. Food is not allowed in the Aladdin vault but it is okay to take a cup (or can) of your favorite non-alcoholic beverage to the beamline. Beverages must be kept away from chemicals and where chemicals are being used!
4. We provide four PCs for general use (checking your email etc.), but you can also access our wireless network with your own computer.
5. We have a small stockroom on site in case you need something such as copper gaskets, etc. (You will need a pre-arranged account).
6. Each Monday at 3 pm we have a "Scheduling Meeting" in the SRC conference room (first floor) to determine what beam we will have. At this meeting, other information of interest to Users will be announced.
7. Users interested in using University of Wisconsin-Madison campus facilities (libraries, fitness facilities, etc.) will need a Guest I.D. Card. This is facilitated through the KRC Human Resources staff. Click here for instructions on what is needed to obtain a Guest I.D. Please see the SRC Main Office if you would like one of these I.D.s.
1. Main Office/General Questions: Katherine Spencer email@example.com, 608-877-2000.
2. Organizational Chart: Near the SRC main entrance there is a board with photos of SRC staff that may help you to identify the person you want to talk to.
3. Computing Issues: Chris Moore firstname.lastname@example.org, 608-877-2137.
4. Scheduling: Ralf Wehlitz email@example.com, 608-877-2164.
5. Safety: Ken Jacobs firstname.lastname@example.org, 608-877-2142.
1. Return keys to the SRC Admin Office or the drop box located in the User prep area.
2. Notify the safety officer of any chemicals you would like to have disposed.
3. Pay the Bob Green Guest House (housing) bill in the SRC Admin Office.
4. Remove stored chemicals and clean up the User area.
5. Acknowledge the SRC and the support of the University of Wisconsin on all publications related to work done at the SRC using the following text:
For work done after December 31, 2011:
"This work is based in part upon research conducted at the Synchrotron Radiation Center which is primarily funded by the University of Wisconsin-Madison with supplemental support from facility Users and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee."
For work done between April 1, 2006 and December 31, 2011:
"This work is based in part upon research conducted at the Synchrotron Radiation Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison, which is supported by the National Science Foundation under Award No. DMR-0537588."
For work done on the IRENI Beamline:
"This work is based on research conducted at the IRENI beamline whose construction and development was supported by NSF under award #0619759."
6. Double check to make sure that the Beamline Users form has been filled out completely.